Sunday, April 18, 2010

AN EVENING WITH MY SON

I sit here watching the movie "CARS" for the one thousandth time, but as long as he's happy I'm happy. I don't let my children watch a lot of television, but do find myself being a hypocrite daily! As a child I was not limited to how much television was watched or the content. I'm not saying that my mother never turned anything off that was inappropriate, but she never caught me catching anything too sketchy. It was easy to switch from playing Atari games all night and accidentally watching "Animal House" or "Clockwork Orange"at 2 a.m.! I guess I can say that having cable early on allowed me to see adult content and humor at an early age! Do I think that I should have been limited...absolutely. There was no V-Chip or any settings on the T.V. It was ON or OFF. Actually, we had the T.V. with 13 channels that could only be changed by turning the round dial. We all remember that you had to sprain your wrist at breakneck speed to go back to the channel you passed. I think a lot of kids are not reminded often enough how technology has changed our lives and how quick it has evolved. Nonetheless, I accept my hypocrisy and know that it is better to have children grow up slower and not be rushed through the golden years of innocence. Now back to the movie.......

No comments:

Post a Comment